Sunday, January 30, 2011

Life at Newman House: a resident's perspective

In the first part of a blog series we look at life at the chaplincy by introducing a regular face at Newman House.

Where are you from, and what do you study?

My name is Robert. I am Irish. I moved from Ireland to London to take a postgraduate in archaeology at University College London.

How did you hear about Newman House?
I came across the university Chaplaincy website. When I applied I knew no one here, and had never visited so I was not sure what to expect. As an undergraduate, I had already lived both in and off-campus. They were good experiences but I knew I wanted to try something a bit different.

How is living in the Catholic Chaplaincy different compared to other student residences?
Life here is unpredictable but at the same time it is very lively. Everyday presents something new and unexpected. The range of people here is so much greater than what I have previously experienced; so that creates a tremendous atmosphere, which I value. Everyone has a role and I find that allows Newman House to be formative in a special way.

What was your favourite part of living here?
I have only lived through one term in Newman House but still I wouldn’t even know where to start answering this question. There is a genuine community so every experience is shared and that includes visitors as well as the residents. That would easily be my favourite part.

Any advice to students coming to London?
Throw yourself into the countless opportunities available at the chaplaincy! The range of societies, the social outreach or the great talks. There is so much happening and so many places to fill. If you have any energy left after that, don’t forget to take some timeout at the Cardinals Arm’s the Newman House bar!

No comments: